- Walking/jogging without music is ideal for working out lyric writing issues.
- It’s also probably good lungs-wise.
- As a singer and an actress, your body is your instrument. Treat it that way.
So yesterday I drove for two hours total for about five seconds in front of a camera.
Worth it? Logically, probably not: it’s a lot of gas to waste on something that basically ended up being a modeling job (and I am NOT a model by any stretch of the imagination – if you want someone that will make your product or clothes look good or sexy, you will not be looking for tiny slightly-chubby oddly-proportioned 1-900-OK-FACE‘d me) that I don’t have a chance at.
For the sense of accomplishment that I got for actually doing it? Yes, absolutely. The last time I had an audition like this I got lost, chickened out(/panicked), and didn’t even call to say I wasn’t coming. This time I made it and I didn’t chicken out even when the casting director (? maybe?) yelled at me for not having a headshot.
On the other hand, this means I definitely have to get some headshots soon.
HELLO, THE INTERNET!!!!
Long time, no write (and I feel as though I start off so many of my posts like this), and for that I am sorry! I hope you all have been keeping well while I waste a lot of my time on tumblr!
So, let’s see! A bunch of things have happened since I last wrote:
- I finished up my fourth semester at school (fifth if you count summer classes last year)!
- I’m trying to figure out where to go from here, education-wise, which might end up in another post.
- I haven’t auditioned for anything, because I am lazy/scared/ashamed of how long it’s been since I’ve been out of the game (so to speak).
- Two laptops died on me :( but I got a lovely new one!
- I got new headshots done, but they were terrible, so now I’m back to using a arms-length selfie as a headshot. YIKES.
- I moved out! because:
- Maestro asked me to marry him! ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ (Link is to a gushy post on my personal tumblr, so if you’re into gushy personal posts: there it is!)
So I suppose I have been kind of busy, but it doesn’t mean that I’m letting myself off the hook. I actually have an audition tomorrow (what! yikes!), I’ve been taking singing lessons weekly for the past few months and I’ve yet to write about what a transformative experience it’s been to work with someone who cares about teaching me technique and theory and explaining the Why Is My Voice Doing This things I’ve always wondered about, Maestro and I have been working out a setlist (!!!) and he’s been teaching me guitar, and I have a couple more auditions coming up toward the end of the summer.
So there’s lots coming up here on The Acting Ingenue! I do think my next trick will be to complete the “look” revamp of my acting-related internet presence. I really ought to doodle something for a header on this blog (and maybe youtube and twitter and things like that). Any ideas for that, dear readers?
Okay, yes, I realize that it’s been quite a while since an update. And I’ll have a real one soon, I promise! But for now: here’s Secret Government Eggo Project III:
THE RECKONING a Standard Christmas. (Yes, the period is part of the title.) Called such both because it has become a standard part of our Christmas season, and also because it’s full of jazz standards. Yes, we think we’re unbearably clever.
Please give it a listen, and let me know what you think! It is also available for purchase on my Bandcamp site!
I never posted anything from last year’s Secret Government Eggo Project; I don’t remember why I didn’t. I’m sure it had to do with my many and varied insecurities; I just didn’t want to put myself out there last year. Sometimes it’s just disheartening to be met with a resounding “meh”, you know what I mean?
This year, in the interests of Doing It Anyway (sort of my motto for the past few months), I’d love to share with you some of last year’s Secret Government Eggo Project
II: Electric Boogaloo err…a (mostly) Disney Christmas! We also did covers of “That’s How You Know” from Enchanted, “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” from Cinderella, “When Somebody Loved Me” from Toy Story 2, “Part of Your World” from The Little Mermaid, and Vienna Teng’s “The Last Snowfall.” These three are my favorite performances; Maestro joins me on “I See The Light” as Eugene. :)
(Here’s a link to my Bandcamp site, where you’ll also find 2011′s Secret Government Eggo Project. Hopefully before too long this year’s Secret Government Eggo Project III: THE RECKONING will also be up!)
I hope your holiday season has been joyous and not too stressful so far, my dear darlings! If you get the chance to listen, please let me know what you think!
(That means November is over!)
“A capital-I Issue…that’s more like a Z. A capital-Z Issue. Zissue.”
This ended up being a ton of work (my very first “edited” video! in that I clipped out a bit and had to stitch two videos together! poorly! and then I had to figure out how to convert it! look at me learning new things!) considering I look sickly and weird here. I wanted to get this done finally though! SO HERE IT IS!
Gosh you guys! I have been TERRIBLE over the past few weeks, have I not? I’m stealing a few minutes before bed tonight (well, when I should already be in bed, really) to update.
In short, here’s what I’ve been working on -
- I ended up being called in for two more days of extra work on the same movie! Again, not really supposed to talk about it, but it’s definitely an enjoyable day’s work. I don’t know how much extra work I’ll end up doing, for lots of reasons. Maybe that’ll be the subject of my next vlog?
- I had my first rehearsal for the Christmas show at the House of the Seven Gables a couple of weeks ago – I’ll be playing Beth March this time!
- I had…one other audition? I think? That I ended up not getting.
- Last week, we had a rehearsal for the singing competition and I had to bail early to go to class so I have no idea what everyone sounds like?
- Speaking of which, the competition is this Saturday!!!
- L & I are going to spend Saturday morning catching up on recording a bunch of stuff we’ve practiced but not performed
- Maestro and I’s Secret Government Eggo Project (III: THE RECKONING) is well underway!
In non-performing-related-but-busyness-related news, I’ve also been attempting National Novel Writing Month, I started a new job!, and schoolwork has been piling up. Part of the reason I decided to do NaNoWriMo this year is that I am often better at managing my time when I’m a little overbooked (because I have to be!). Hopefully I’ll be able to do a vlog or monovlog again in the next week or so!
I also want to thank David-Matthew Barnes for stopping by my blog with some incredibly kind words. I am still a little bit beside myself!
Wow, it’s been a week and a half – ugh, and I was doing so well for a while there! I feel like I completely lost momentum over the past week. I even have a monologue or two all memorized that I could have recorded and uploaded by now. I’m more disappointed with myself than thinking anyone is out there waiting with bated breath, but still – I’m very sorry, you guys!
I was a bit busy last week, actually! Not busy enough that I couldn’t have kept on top of things, but still – pretty busy! The highlights (for this blog, anyway) were -
- I spent Monday on a movie set, doing my very first movie extra work!! I’m not allowed to talk much about it (like, reveal the project name, or – I think – talk about who’s in it), but it’s a Hollywood feature film and my bum might be making its film debut whenever it is that they’re releasing the film! Hooray! (Plus, I got paid!)
- Wednesday I had an audition in Boston at Emerson College for some of their student films/student film class. I’m really looking for ways that I can get footage for a reel and this looked like a great way to do that. It was an interesting experience, I’ve never auditioned for a camera before. It’s always a nice feeling to make the auditors laugh! It’s been over a week and I haven’t heard from them, so I’m left to assume I didn’t get any of the parts they were casting.
- I narrowed down my song choices for the upcoming singing competition – either “If I Loved You” (from Carousel) or “Think of Me” (from Phantom of the Opera), I still haven’t quite decided yet.
- Oh and I ended up being in the paper for that, too!
Since I sort of lost momentum on finding new things to do last week, I didn’t have anything exciting lined up for this week. I’m poking around now, though, and I’ve found a couple of interesting-looking things to submit or audition for. Last week was a pretty draining week, emotionally, and next week is my first week at my new “real” job, so I’m trying very hard to keep my momentum going!
It looks like it’ll be a few more days til I get to record anything, too, unless I can wake myself up early enough tomorrow or Saturday to try and get my first monovlog* up, which I’ll definitely try to do!
*(Monovlog = monologue vlog (vlog = video blog!)!) (parentheses!!!)
I was hoping to have some good news within the next few days, and it turns out…I do!
I actually did make it into the top ten for the singing competition!!
I am so ridiculously thrilled, everyone!! :D I can’t even really express!
Of course, this means I need to pick a new song – and I need to get working on it! The benefit is November 9th, so I have plenty of time.
I have a few other things in the works right now (some of which I really actually can’t talk about rather than just me being paranoid), but I needed to let everyone know about this – I’m so excited, I can’t believe it!!!!